Sunday 7 February 2016

A quick catch up...

Not quite sure where 2015 went to, nor where January 2016 has gone.  2016 is a highly significant year for Shakespeare aficionados, of course, and FRB has already had an honourable mention in an article Gregory Doran, artistic director of the RSC, wrote for the Sunday Telegraph on January 1st
Read it here.

FRB as Othello, date unknown
The very last day of 2015 also saw the publication of my Midsummer Night's Dream article in Theatre Notebook - my own  small attempt at putting FRB back on the British Shakespeare Map.  Of course, I'm hyper-critical of it and can see lots of things which I could have done better... but it is lovely to see it properly in print!

After a very time-pressured start to the year, work has again resumed on the data base and in a little over a week's time I'm heading back to the archives in Stratford, having used some of the Louis Marder Scholarship money to rent a cottage for the week. I've set myself (and my willing research assistant!) a mountain of material to get through, including the prompt books for three tragedies - Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet and Othello.  I'm interested to see how Benson edited them and whether they were as rearranged as some of the other plays were. I'm also hoping to fill in some of the gaps in the database, particularly in relation to the smaller companies, where the itineraries still look rather colander-like...

Looking forward to lots of cake and good company, and just being in my absolute favourite place on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment